The Basics…How To Act
The basics is the foundation we build our martial art experience on. We encourage our even our youngest students to “act like a BLACK BELT” at all times. They are reminded of this attitude with the TURTLE CREED and the basic techniques described below.
- Stand ready like a BLACK BELT— Choon Bee! Ready for what? Ready for anything!
- Sit calmly like a BLACK BELT— An-Jeu-Se-Yo. Sit up strait and cross legged.
- Focus like a BLACK BELT— Cha Ryut! Feet together with arms by your side.
- Respect others like a BLACK BELT— Kyung Ret. Bow to instructors, fellow students.
Basic Movements...blocking, punching & kicking
These basic techniques will be practiced at all levels with emphasis on steady improvement between each belt promotion.
- Front stance—front knee bent and back leg straight in a deep lunge
- Low Block—sweep the arm down from the shoulder to above the knee
- High Block—sweep the arm up from the hip to above the forehead
- Inside/Outside Block—sweep the arm in-to-out with the fist pointed up and the elbow bent
- High Palm Heel strike—”high five” or “pie-in-the-face” extending the base of the palm forward
- Hammer fist—swing the fist like a hammer to break your first board
- Knife hand strike—aka “karate chop”, like a hammer fist with an open hand and tight fingers
- Back fist—elbow up, extend the back of the fist straight out
- Middle punch—hand high on the hip, extend the fist forward like an arrow
- Knee kick—pick up the knee with the leg bent
- Front kick—start like a knee kick then extend and push the foot straight out
- Roundhouse kick—turn the hip over and snap the leg out “over the table”
- Inside/Outside kick—keeping the leg straight, swing the right leg in a circle clockwise (counter-clockwise for left leg)
- Ki-Hap—loud shout or yell used to increase power, improve focus & intimidate opponents